About Handmade Soap
My handmade soaps are made from natural, gentle ingredients that won't leave your skin itchy or dry. Most commercial soaps contain harsh chemicals, preservatives and petroleum products, and are a detergent bar, not pure and natural soap at all.
Handmade soaps also have the naturally occurring advantage of glycerin. In commercial soaps, the glycerin is removed and then used in other, more profitable products; including cosmetics, medicine, printing inks and nitroglycerin. Even highly touted "glycerin" soaps have less glycerin than what naturally occurs in handmade soap. In handmade soap, the glycerin remains, providing deep moisturizing benefits.
Beneficial additives in my soap may include:
Aloe - The soothing gel from the aloe
leaf contains more than 75 nutrients and 200 active compounds
including, minerals, amino acids, and vitamins.
Avocado Oil - is rich in Vitamin A, B1, B2, D, and E as well as amino and other essential fatty acids. Avocado Oil is great for those with skin ailments such as eczema, psoriasis, and other skin problems.
Bentonite Clay - Bentonite Clay's highest power lies in its ability to
absorb toxins, impurities and other
soaks up poisons on its exterior wall and then slowly draws them into
the interior of the clay.
Buttermilk - The presence of lactic and alpha hydroxy acids in buttermilk help remove dead skin cells, excess oil and dirt. After the top layer of skin is removed, a newer, lighter, fresh layer is revealed. Buttermilk soap acts as a deep cleanser, de-tanner, and great moisturizing agent.
Charcoal - has the ability to adsorb other substances to its surface and hold it there. In charcoal soap, those other substances are impurities found on your skin. These attributes make this a super cleansing bar of soap!
Lavender - is an antiseptic, natural antibiotic, sedative, detoxifier and smells like heaven!
Oatmeal - and its natural oil coat, moisturize, protect, gently
cleanse and suppresses the need to scratch, while correcting the pH of itchy or inflamed skin.
Shea Butter - Rich in vitamins A, C and E, shea butter
provides relief from dry, chapped skin and scalp. It also helps prevent acne
and premature wrinkles, and aids skin by providing moisturizing
protection from the sun in the summer months and from the wind in the
colder winter months. It also helps to reduce blemishes and scarring and
helps to prevent stretch marks on pregnant bellies.
Other beneficial additives and their uses:
- Dry Skin - Chamomile, Cocoa Butter, Glycerin, Oatmeal, Shea Butter, Wheat Germ Oil
- Oily, Acne-prone Skin - Honey, Lavender, Rosemary, Oatmeal, Elderflower, Patchouli, Tea Tree, Charcoal
- Anti-Bacterial - Honey, Chamomile, Peppermint, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Tea Tree
- Wrinkles, Age Spots - Chamomile, Elder Flower, Rose, Shea Butter, Calendula Flowers, Cocoa Butter
- Rashes, Psoriasis, Eczema - Aloe, Oatmeal, Lemon Balm, Avocado Oil, Charcoal, Pine Tar, Shea Butter
- Anti-Fungal - Tea Tree, Lemongrass, Cinnamon
- Cleansing, Purifying - Patchouli, Tea Tree, Coffee, Peppermint, Cornmeal, Charcoal
- Depression - Lavender, Nag Champa, Orange, Lemon, Wintergreen